[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOUR] Reaction to change in environment/sleeping (Re. Fluffy)

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 04:09:56 EST 2005

Linda

I think piggies definitely do become upset if they are moved to an unfamiliar
place. I have minded other people's piggies when they have gone away on
holiday, and they are always a bit subdued the first few days after being left.
What I have noticed, though, is that the piggies who come with the rest of their
"herd" settle much more quickly and appear much less upset, presumably because
they still have their same piggie pals to chat with. The pigs who have seemed
most distressed have been those who are lone pigs and live alone in their
cage. These appear less distraught if I put their cages where they can see and
hear my own piggies.

When I put the first single pig I minded in a room on her own (so she
wouldn't be disturbed by the dogs and cats which also share our home) she hardly
moved or ate, and I got so worried I had to phone her slaves whilst they were on
holiday. I was all for taking her to the vet, but they said she was probably
just missing them and her usual environment, and sure enough, as soon as they
came to collect her she started munching her way through that morning's veggies
that had lain untouched in her cage!

I am sure they do also miss having someone around that they are used to. Mine
all know me and my partner, but know instantly if there is someone different
in the porch where their cages are and they all hide and go quiet. They are
also much more quiet when my partner feeds them, as it is usually me and they
know my voice and smell.

If Fluffy were mine, I would most definitely go to a rescue and find him a
playmate - I am positive he would be a lot happier. Just make sure you are
certain both he and the playmate are the same sex -  and if he really is a "he", go
for a very young male, as an older male will accept a young one more readily.
Don't just put the youngster into Fluffy's cage though - let them meet during
floortime.

Whilst they are running about the floor would be a good time to replace
Fluffy's cage with a new, larger one, and I would advise putting two new sleeping
quarters in it before putting Fluffy and new companion in, plus lots of
favourite foods to distract them. My girls certainly love their igloo, although I
have to say cardboard boxes and plastic baskets seem to be their favourite hiding
places. They love to throw them about, and I think the baskets are so popular
because they can be inside them and protected yet still see all the way
around them, and they can move them along whilst still inside them - I have even
seen them place the basket over the food dish so they have all the food to
themselves!! But whatever sleeping quarters you choose, I would certainly recommend
having two in the cage if you have two piggies - that way each has somewhere
to sleep and feel safe if they do fall out.

Good luck and keep us posted

Debbie (and her 18 Dolly Mixtures!)