[Gpdd] RE: Misc: Weight of Piggies

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Sat Apr 2 20:42:43 EST 2005

Hi Debbie ~~ regarding your message about piggie weight, your experience
fits with mine. (Although you have a herd and I have only a mini-herd!)

 Last year when they were about 18 months old and up I weighed my two
piggers every couple of months and logged the results. The largest
weight for Snowball a short-haired (American self white) guy was 3
pounds, 11 ounces (or 1675 grams). Snickers, a long-haired silkie,
weighed 3 pounds, 3.5 ounces (~1460 grams) at his largest. But they look
about the same size because of all that hair on Snickers.

As far as personality Snickers is more active than Snowball. He is an
athlete piggie, he enjoys climbing. When they get their treats they were
both taught to stand on their hind legs to earn them. But now Snickers
always goes to the same spot and sort of stretches and climbs on the
"fence" to get his. His motto is "Work smarter, not harder."  He's
usually more daring, more the alpha pig in their hierarchy. More of the
rumblestrutter. When they are out of the pen he goes off exploring and
looking for places to burrow.

Snowball to me may be a sweeter piggie in his way. He's more timid and
he lets me hold him more. He's more quiet when getting his nails
trimmed. He's more content to be relaxing. But when he stands up for his
treats he goes so high he looks like he could lose his balance and fall
backwards one day. He's serious about his food. We used to call him
"Snowball-Lowball" because he would do sly little tricks to steal food
from Snickers. And every once in awhile he gets in a mood to not take
any flack from Snickers. Like he's saying, "I'm a bigger piggie and I
let you run around like Boss Piggie, but don't cross the line, buddy."
Snowball also wheeks louder for salad. That piggie can scream when he
want to.

In their little society of two Snickers and Snowball complement each
other well. I don't know if one has more personality but they are
different. I am interested in how other people compare their
longhair/shorthair experience with Debbie's.

"Have a wheeking good day!"

Carla, Snickers and Snowball
 www.fluffy1s.blinkz.com