[Gpdd] Care: Hay (and hello!)

sarahritz at comcast.net sarahritz at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 12:18:02 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while and thought I'd finally say hi. My name is Sarah and I have 3 boy piggies: Ziggy, Rocky, and Hank (I let my fiance name one, guess which?!).  I started out with one pet store pig (Rocky) and after reading a lot about GPs, went to adopt him a friend but came home with two brothers (Ziggy and Hank) from a local rescue. They are all just under one year old. I built them a 2-story C&C cage with a ramp that they love to zip up and down on.

There's been several mentions of hay recently, and I just wanted to throw in my two cents:  I started out ordering from Oxbow, but then switched to Sweet Meadow Farms in Mass.  Someone posted about a difference in smell between the two brands--I definitely noticed a difference. The Sweet Meadow Hay is, well, sweeter smelling, I think, and my pigs LOVE it. They eat it and like to use some as bedding. I also found it to be much softer than other brands I've tried. I order it by the case, and since I'm in CT, it always comes really quickly. So, if you couldn't tell, I'm _highly recommending_ Sweet Meadow hay :) They just recently started selling organic Timothy, in case anyone was looking for such a thing.

Finally, a big general "thanks" to all you GPDD'ers--I've been learning so much from reading your posts!  I'm also very sorry to hear about all the recent piggy losses :(

Cheers,
Sarah