[Gpdd] Re: DIET: Yogurt Drops

BunsnPigs at aol.com BunsnPigs at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 14:12:48 EDT 2005

Ah... I used to use those things back in the early 90's. If they were a
touch sweeter, we could eat them ourselves.

Yogurt drops are basically candy that is useless for the digestive system.
In fact, the sugar is deterimental to guinea pigs gut flora and can aid in
screwing it up royally. The 'treats' they sell at the store are all like that.

If you want to give your piggy a treat, give some new veggies or a  different
kind of hay. Oxbow sells oat hay and orchard grass, too. I have to say  that
mine go bonkers over dandelion greens. Also, you can give them a slice of
fruit like apple or grape once a week or so. The other treat? ;-]  I mix up
Oxbow Critical Care and give them a few spoons in a bowl every so often. They
love it and then I know I can get them to eat it if they get sick.

Toss the yogurt drops if you don't want your pig's gastrointestinal tract  to
go haywire. Read the label. That might convince you, too. Here's their page
on yogurt 'chips'. Maltodextrin is also a sugar:

_http://www.kaytee.com/products/mammals/?pid=55803&aid=all&pcid=2_
(http://www.kaytee.com/products/mammals/?pid=55803&aid=all&pcid=2)

Judi  Lainer
Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue