[Gpdd] Misc: Horses

Cavykatie at aol.com Cavykatie at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 21:32:56 EDT 2005

Hi!  I'm so excited!  At around 6 pm today (about 3 1/2 hours ago now) I went
out to the barn and my mare (female horse) had her foal!!!  I'm really
excited!!!!!  I looked in Toosie's (the mom) stall and she looked so skinny!  I
thought maybe she had miscarried or that her foal was in a strange position or
something, but then I saw this tiny little dark brown bundle just standing up!
Since someone had just been over to check on Toosie, we figured that she
couldn't have had her baby more than ten minutes before I'd checked on her.  Her
baby is a girl, and she looks just like her!  We're thinking that we're gonna
name her Mocha because she's a chocolate color like Tootsie.  Prior to the foal's
birth, we jokingly referred to the unborn baby as Tootsie's Roll.  :)
Anyway, I'm just so happy that she had her baby and that she and Mocha are both
healthy and really seem to like each other.  We imprinted Mocha right away (when
you rub the foal all over right after birth to get him/her used to people) and
were worried that it would be harder for the imprinting to affect her since we
were about ten minutes late, but it was fine!  And she's a sweetheart!  And
I'm happy!!!  Very, very, very happy!  Now we have four horses, though, so this
does mean more poop to scoop...But I'm so happy!  Anyway, just thought I'd
spread the news since I knew I couldn't keep it to myself!  Thanks for listening!

Katie & the Cavies
Wooly Bear, Scamper, & Lilac