[Gpdd] (Misc) Kids, hay, and other ramblings...

shim1990 at adelphia.net shim1990 at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 6 16:00:44 EDT 2005

I just wanted to add my two cents to the kids discussion.  I have a 12 year old boy, and a 10 year old girl, plus my other kids...the three piggies, two cats, dog, parakeet, and beta fish.  They are ALL my kids!  But choosing not to have human kids is sometimes the right and decent thing to do, for all the reasons Leah so elequently stated.  My husband and I were married at 31 and had our first when I was almost 33!  When we decided to have kids, we acknowledged that our life would NOT be our own again for years, and were happy to give up alot of things.  But the key is, we wanted to give things up.  We aren't noble or special, we just did what we felt best.  I know far too many people who put their kids on the bottom of their priority list, because they find them to be a bother.  I also work with developmentally disabled children, too many of whom are that way because their parents refused to make appropriate lifestyle changes.  So I salute all thoughtful, caring people who make intelligent choices on being parents, whatever side you end up on.  And yes, my animal kids are JUST as spoiled as my human ones!!!!
As for Kaytee Vs Oxbow... I used Kaytee off and on for a year or so, along with blue seal.  Last year an Oxbow distributer opened nearby, so, having heard raves about Cavy Cuisine on the digest, I tried it.  WOW!!!   My girls never looked so good!!  Porky, who has suffered for years with a recurring systemic yeast infection, has not had a flare up since I switched pellets.  They are all so sleek and shiny.  I can't comment on any weight changes since, ahem, Porky fluctuates between 3#9 oz and 3# 4 oz no matter what the pellet!
As for hay, I like Sweet Meadow the best, as do the girls.  But we also get locally grown timothy, and use Kaytee in a pinch.
Our hearts go out to all who have lost a little one, and those who are ill!
                    Judi and the haypile honeys
   Remembering always Corky and Gaylord