[Gpdd] (Care) Re: Kaytee Hay & Food

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 9 16:26:26 EDT 2005

I used to feed Kaytee to my piggies before I found out
about Oxbow. The concern about Kaytee (and I think it
was mentioned on here before) is that it has a
preservative in it called ethoxyquine--or something
close to that--that may be toxic to piggies. I fed my
first piggy Kaytee products (alfalfa-based, no less!)
and he lived to be 7.5 years old...guess it was okay
for him. Oddly enough, the Kaytee alfalfa hay does not
have this preservative in it, but I believe the
timothy does. (It's been a long time since I looked at
a bag of it, so I could be wrong). Anyhoo--I do think
my pigs have a healthier coat and fewer skin problems
with the Oxbow. Also, I tried putting a bowl of the
Kaytee food next to a bowl of the Oxbow and they
headed straight for the Oxbow first. I will use Kaytee
hay in a pinch--I had to get some this past winter
because I couldn't get out in a snowstorm to get any
Oxbow...my piggies were quite upset over it, too.

Stacy and the Squee Squad