[Gpdd] Misc: Introducing Piggies

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 9 20:55:35 EDT 2005

Hi Forest -
I love your piggies' names - and your email address!  Sorry about Chewbacca,
maybe if he was still around he could keep them all straight!
I would really not recommend putting Calvin & Hobbes in with Wookie for now, especially if they are getting cuts (bites?).  The first warning that all is not right is the teeth chattering, and that's when they should be separated, at least until they decide to tolerate each other.
There has been a lot written here in the past (as well as information on various websites) about introducing them on neutral ground for short periods of time, etc., and that is really the best way to handle it. If they're fighting, or even just chattering, they are upset, most likely scared as well as angry, and that's not a good way for any animal to be. Do they get floor time where they can run and play?  That might relieve some stress, but they would still try to fight; they might need separate floor time for now.
They will settle down when they see there's no really danger. Two of my little guys will
chatter at each other and start to scuffle if they are in together for a few minutes, so
they are housed side by side. But if I take one out for a few minutes, the other one will
squeal and carry on, worried until his buddy is back where he belongs - like any brothers!
I know I would prefer having all my piggies together in one big pen, but unfortunately that doesn't work because some of the boys insist on fighting. And then there's Rosie, who will 'spit' in the face of newcomers, just to be sure they know she demands respect!
Such a diva!
Give your piggies a hug from us, and good luck with your housing situation.  If you want names or links to any of the websites I mentioned, just email me back. I'll be glad to help you out in any way I can. (you can also check out our website and go to the links secton, there are quite a few to dig through!)
Best of luck-
Susi and the Okie Piggies
Snowy, CocoPuff, Lil' Whistle & Rosie
Hotshot & Buzzerre, HarleyPigg & Buster