[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <One of my piggies seems to be having 5 toes!>

Mikey pandameisje at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 16:52:19 EDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this group. So I will first introduce myself and my piggies!
I'm Mikey, normally I live in The Netherlands, but right now I'm in
the Czech republic for my internship, for the duration of 5 months.
Since my boyfriend is allergic to guinea pigs and especially to the
hay, and I am not allowed to have any pets around here, my two piggies
are at the moment staying at my sister. They seem to be happy there,
she emails me regularly about them. I know haven't seen my piggies for
2 and a half month and I miss them.
I have two female guinea pigs. One is called Lotje and is the eldest,
she is a rex and has a redbrownish and white coat. The other one is
called Guiny and is a few months younger, she is brown, black and
white. Lotje is the leader of the two, but guiny also gets her way if
she wants to. Guiny seems to be a bit smarter than Lotje, where lotje
seem the stronger (sometimes more agressive) one. Do more GP owner
have the experience that one GP is smarter than the other one?
Anyways, My sister just emailed me she was a bit concerned about
lotje, there seemed to be something with her foot. After a thorough
inspection she told me that it seemed to her that Lotje has an extra
toe on both (front) paws. I do remember looked at her paws for more
than one time and recalling there seemed to be something different
about them... Is having an extra set of toes something I should worry
about?
It doesn't seem to bother her, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.
But I just wanted to ask you guys to make sure...
I also had a question about breeding. My brother has two male guinea
pigs who are a bit younger than mine. I'm thinking about trying to get
young piggies from them once. But someone told me it is better for
GP's to have little ones before their first year. Other wise it would
be more difficult for the guinea pig. Is that true? And if I decide to
have little guinea pigs then what do I need to care for them?
I'm also wondering how the other female will respond if one has little
ones... Especially Lotje because she can be a bit agressive
sometimes....She bit the vet once when she was trying to clip her
nails!
And about the rainbow bridge: my male guinea pig Winky died a year
ago, but then I didn't know this rainbow bridge existed. Is it
possible to add him to the rainbow bridge? and maybe also my brothers
late piggy Dobby?
thanks and nice meeting you all!
For pigtures of my gp's see:
www.emxn.com/misc/GuinyCloseUp.jpg
http://www.emxn.com/misc/GuinyEnLotjeInDoos.jpg
I really miss my piggies, and their happy wheeking and popcorning :(

Mikey
pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com
m.p.staaks at st.hanze.nl