[Gpdd] Re: Health - Safe Shampoo

Lydia Boland owsla at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 11 01:43:14 EDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005, at 9:28 AM, Donna Lenz wrote:
> Lydia,
>
> After checking the ingrediants on Buddy Wash - I would be very careful
> using it.  It's a dog shampoo - not even recommended for cats/kittens.

I've been using it with great success but to answer your
question/comment, I have emailed the company to see what their opinion
is on whether it is safe for guinea pigs.  I have used to multiple
times to wash our guinea pigs (4 over the past few years) and they have
never had anything close to a negative reaction.  They always come out
with the softest fur ever and never have and skin or fur problems since
using it.  I'm really careful about what I use for all of my pets but I
will be interested to hear what the company says about it.

> I made the mistake of using a Natural Flea shampoo on Dusty once - it
> was
> recommended for kittens, and the pet store recommended it.  It turned
> out
> that she was part Albino - even though she was beige/gold.  Her fur
> fell
> out in several places and she developed huge lesions. Poor baby was
> sore -
> and on meds for two weeks. Very sad lesson learned - don't ask the pet
> store employees.

I myself would be wary of using anything medicated without the advice
of my vet.  In fact I  would call my vet before I treated them at the
very least if I didn't make an appointment for them.  But I tend to be
really cautious =).

> What is very safe for pigs is Bunny Bath, and Selson Blue shampoo with
> aloe.  I've used Selsun Blue for forever now, and the piggys smell so
> good
> and are so fluffy! Dr Quesenberry from the AMC in NY recommends these
> - and
> she is the top Exotic Vet in the US.  She's wonderful with pigs!

  Personally I would never would have used Selson Blue which is for
people without asking my vet first, once again it is medicated.  But as
you mentioned your vet does recommend it, I never would have guessed.
I will email my vet with the link to Cloud Star to see what he thinks.
I'm surprised I didn't, or maybe I did and forgot.  But after having
used it dozens of times with no ill effects I still think it is ok.
But I will think twice about recommending it until I have heard from
the company and my vet.

> I'm not sure why you said Bunnys shouldn't get a bath?  They can also
> be
> bathed when dirty, and some love water.  My Maltie had his own swimming
> pool, and he loved to swim when it was hot.  My bunny Twinkle gets a
> bath
> when she gets dirty.

Some bunnies like to swim but most don't.  I'd never let them get near
a chlorinated pool because of the chemicals but as you said yours has
his own pool so it's probably just plain water.  I asked the bunny
group I'm on which has tons of experts the exact reasons why they
shouldn't be bathed other than me saying I just know it to be true
because I have heard it and read it a great many times.  So I will post
their replies and links to some sources in a different email within the
next day or two.  I still have to do my taxes and right now I'm just
taking a break =).  The main reasons they shouldn't be bathed is
because it can make them ill and if their immune system is compromised
the shock can lead to death.  They should only be partially bathed if
there is a problem like poopy butt and then you just clean the tushy
area.  Once again I'll post all the info. I received in a second email
as soon as I can.  Thanks in advance for your patience.

Lydia