[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Nipping...what to do?

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 11 13:45:00 EDT 2005

Angela-
Congratulations on your new baby Isis, and welcome to the digest!  She is gorgeous!
Sounds like she is pushing the boundaries a bit, but you're right about the tapping
having the wrong results.  They seem to be very sensitive to any sort of danger, and
that includes hitting or tapping. I have been told the best way to discipline a piggie
is the way their momma did it - gently take the hair on the back of their neck between
your thumb and forefinger and give it a quick tug, and tell them 'no!' (not too loudly).
Of course, this has to be immediately after whatever behavior you want to stop, and
you have to be right there, you can't grab at them suddenly either.  I had to do this
with Snowy some for a while. When I'd have she and CocoPuff both in my lap and
pet them and talk to them, all was fine as long as she was getting the attention, but
the minute my hand went to CP (or she thought it was going to, or he moved his head!)
she would nip at him. She never actually bit him, and on the occasions when my hand
was in the way, I never even felt her teeth, more like she was hitting him.  But at least
this let her know I didn't approve, and she will at least hesitate before she tries it now.
These little guys are so timid when it comes to reaching for them or picking them up,
you don't want to do anything to make it worse. Snowy & CP now will usually just sit
there and look at me when I reach in to pick them up (I think they're just too lazy to
run!), but with these new little guys and girls, I am having to start all over again being
patient and calm with them.  I remember Brownie Bear once commenting that she
was sure there were coyoties lurking, waiting to grab her, and I often think of that
when they make a mad dash.  Or maybe eagles swooping down.  (be careful what
kind of wildlife documentaries you let them watch!)
Maybe your safest bet would be to 1) watch to see just what it is she is objecting to,
and 2) stay out of the way of those teeth!
Piggie hugs'n'kisses to little Isis!
Susi and the Okie Piggies

okie-piggies.blinkz.com