[Gpdd] RE: [BEHAVIOR] Nipping...what to do?? (and an intro!)

phm251 at comcast.net phm251 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 19:26:26 EDT 2005

Angela, Isis is a real cutie! I love the pic with her all sprawled out with her back legs stretched out.
As far as the nipping, yeah she is going through those terrible tweens. The months between being an adorable baby and a cuddly adult. She wants down to run and play - a lot. She needs lots of chew toys.
I got my guys through this time by tapping them on the nose when they nipped hard and firmly told them "No - it's Mommie". It got to the point that if they reached for me with teeth out all I had to say was "Mommie!" and they would stop. It also helped that I put them right back in the cage (no more play time) if they nipped. This type of nipping is different from the tugs they give me if they have to potty.
Keep hanging in there, she's worth every minute of training!
Pam
Mom to Stuart, Roo, Taz and Patches (with foster pigs Brownie and Butterscotch waiting for their forever homes.)