[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOUR] Rumblestrutting

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 04:49:44 EDT 2005

I think rumblestrutting is only that if the piggie is strutting whilst it
rumbles, if you get what I mean! My pigs, both male and female, "rumble" quite a
lot as a means of communication - it is a kind of purring, burbling noise, and
they can make it whilst stationary or whilst running along. If they make it
whilst being handled/stroked by a slave, I always interpret it as a sign of
pleasure, and I think it is often that when they are amongst their own kind. I
have occasionally spent all night in the same room as my 14 girls, and I can
assure you that noise goes on all night - as soon as one stops, another seems to
start! It is a gentle, soothing noise, and I always like to think they're sort
of saying, "I'm feeling content and peaceful, isn't life grand!" or words to
that effect. When I first had my rescued girls, and their pen became fuller
and fuller with their babies, I used to think the sound was almost like the mums
purring lullabies to the babies to reassure them and help them sleep.

However, rumblestrutting occurs when there is some kind of dispute going on,
and, as Lisa points out, is always accompanied by the swaying of the rear end.
Often there will be two piggies rumblestrutting simultaneously, and they will
circle one another. If it is a serious dispute, they will probably also be
chattering their teeth.

I think I read somewhere that the bum-waggling is supposed to make them look
bigger and scarier to the other pig - I agree it looks funny to us, because
they kind of stand on tiptoe on their hind feet! I find my boars do it more than
the sows, but none of them do it very often because they've all lived
together for a long time. It tends to occur more when piggies are first introduced,
and I think helps them establish the "rank" order - who can boss whom!

I'm glad to say it seems to reduce the need for physical fights. Once a bit
of rumblestrutting has taken place, each pig involved seems to accept the
outcome and one will wander off pretending it was never challenging the other.

My piggies make lots of other noises - I would say they are vocalising almost
all the time they are awake. I know there are websites that "interpret" the
sounds piggies make, but sometimes I think these are a bit simplistic, because
I hear my piggies make certain sounds where the context implies a different
interpretation from the one suggested by the "experts". Wouldn't it be great if
we true devoted piggie slaves could pool our own experience of piggie language
and come up with a more refined interpretation of piggie language? I suspect
it is far more complex than the scientists believe.

Condolences to all who have lost piggies. I don't think the pain ever goes
away.

Debbie and her 18 "Dolly Mixtures"