[Gpdd] Eating- jellybean attack

Lydia G Boland lydiagboland at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 20:55:08 EDT 2005

I've had my rabbits steal food from us but not our guinea pigs.  Sugar
is never good for them, ever.  All pigs are different.  Some get fed
the worst diet and live the longest lives and some can be fed the best
diet and die early.  For example George Burns smoked and drank and
lived forever but that isn't the norm with people..  Then there are the
pigs that are in between.  If they steal something like a jelly bean
and eat part of it, it probably won't kill them.  But over time the
sugar can cause an imbalance of the good and bad bacteria in their gut
and cause problems like stasis and bloat.  So to be on the safe side I
wouldn't give her any sugar period.  It's not poisonous to them like
chocolate or caffeine but will most likely cause problems over time.
If you want to give your guinea pigs a treat try one of the supplements
they offer at Oxbow Hay
http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showDivision.sp?cat=44 .  My understanding
is that most guinea pigs love their GTN-50C Tablets.  They are a
vitamin C tablet.  Mine didn't care for them and I returned them for a
full refund.  Maybe there is a certain fruit they just go crazy for but
it is too expensive on a regular basis.  So give it to them once a
week.
One of my bunnies Hazel is crazy for Doritos and Extra Sugar Free
Bubble Mint gum.  We have to be really careful to never leave a bag of
Doritos on the bed or the coffee table and I can't throw my gume away
in short waste baskets because she will knock them over and get to it.
She chews through the foil wrapper.  She once knocked a large sealed
pack of gum off the end table and ate a third of it (wrappers and all)
before we discovered it the next morning.  There weren't any negative
results but we were lucky.
I hope you find this info./opinion helpful.  I'm sure you will get
others.

Lydia