[Gpdd] HEALTH: Tea Tree shampoo and horse cookies

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 20:52:30 EDT 2005

Hi there!

I just wanted to clarify on a few things I posted before. First, the horse cookies... I have tried the really hard, crunchy horse cookies as treats for my piggies but it is pretty hit or miss as to whether or not they like them. The ones they REALLY like are called "Auntie Ann's Horse Cookies" and these ones are kinda soft which is how I can break them up. This is a local brand but I think a national brand is Winnie's horse cookies. The ingredients are Water, Molasses, Corn, Whole Wheat, Bran, Barley. Oat Groats, Mineral Salt, Flax Seed and Oats. Like I said, these are a hit with all my babies!

Now moving onto itchy piggies and their shampoos. I will be honest and say that I have given up on finding a good shampoo for my itchy boys at the pet store. So pretty much anywhere I go I am looking for things to try. This last idea I had with the tea tree shampoo/conditioner and oil treatment I found at the health food store. The brand is J/A/S/O/N and it is an organic product. Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and anti-fungal. I had even contemplated putting straight tea tree oil on them, but I thought to try this first. The oil treatment I use is by Burt's Bees and is called Vitamin E Body and Bath oil with sweet almond and lemon oil. This smells really good. I just gave another bath to Zippy today and it seems to help. I just hope it helps him long term. Tomorrow, Wesley will get another bath too.

I did find an interesting product at Bath & Body Works today and it is a Peach Nut oil cleanser which is a non-soap/detergent cleanser that looks to be high in oil/moisture. I did not buy it, but that is next on my list if the tea tree/oil treatments don't help.

Pigs don't "need" baths but some of us have pigs with itchy, flaky dry skin and so baths are one way to try and help them feel better. Some pigs like to swim so a bath is fun for them. Others, like my Wesley, are not particularly fond of bath time but unfortunately for him he needs to get them regularly to try and help his skin.

Take care everyone,
Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks

Wheeks and Squeaks Rodent Rescue
www.wheeksandsqueaks.petfinder.com
Finding permanent, loving homes for guinea pigs and degus