[Gpdd] HEALTH: Swimming and baths

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 13:24:47 EDT 2005

I just wanted to address the issues that Shelly had brought up regarding piggies swimming, and bathtime.

First, swimming is a natural instinct for piggies (and frankly for just about all animals). They lived in a rainforest where there were always puddles and things they would feel the need to cross. So it is natural. Yes, they are a bit domesticated, but instincts are instincts. You are right, some pigs don't like it, but you never know unless you try. This is a good exercise for heavy piggies.

I agree that pigs are easily stressed but they trust in us as their slaves and if we are there with them, I do not see them stressing out about it. I have never dumped a pig into deep water. Zippy, who is a swimmer and loves it, get puts into the bathtub as I am still drawing water and tubs are sloped, so one end is always more shallow. You only need an inch or two of water in the tub, they have short legs! Wesley is not happy about being wet but he is not "stressed" by the bath time to where his heart is racing and you can see white around his eyes or anything. He popcorns in the bathtub and shakes and splashes and makes a right mess (he is wet, shouldn't I be too?)

Bathtime... I believe that because you have never had to give your pigs a bath, you would not know the lengths some of us go through to get their itchy piggies not to itch. If you use a shampoo or cleanser that does not contain soap or detergents, it does not dry out their skin. Plus, I also give my piggies an oil treatment to help with moisture. In order to get moisture into the skin, first you must get it wet. Because of the very reason you mentioned of stripping oils from their hair and skin, that is why there is so much discussion on here about what shampoo to use. Small animal shampoos tend not to use soaps or detergents versus people or most dog shampoos that do. Some pigs who aren't itchy can be bathed once in a while with whatever shampoo and never have a problem.

There is my two cents plus some...

Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks

Wheeks and Squeaks Rodent Rescue
www.wheeksandsqueaks.petfinder.com
Finding permanent, loving homes for guinea pigs and degus