[Gpdd] [HEALTH] spot on rear end

Robert and Patricia Oglesby rpngso at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 21 09:47:43 EDT 2005

Hi Pig People!

We brought Harry home last night and he seems pretty content here at our house.

I gave him a bath this morning and noticed a clump of matted hair at his rear end, so after I dried him off I cut it out.  As I was inspecting and trimming and making sure I had gotten it all, I found a strange spot on his rear.  I'm not sure if it's a sore, or what.  It is round and black and gooey.  Not bloody, just not dry.  There is another spot that is also black and lumpy, but dry.  He got a little chirpy as I was working on him and eventually scooted away before I could get a really good look, but he didn't act like he was in great pain.

Don't male piggies have some sort of scent glands at their rear?  Could one of the spots be that?  Should it make his hair mat?

He has a very thick, longish coat.  I'm not sure what to think about it.  Some of the hairs are very long, others are much shorter.  Not sure if that means he's just a mix of long and short hair or if he has a skin problem.  His nails were way too long, poor thing.  Got those trimmed up first thing.  He's a sweet piggie!

Thanks for the advice.

Patricia