[Gpdd] [Health]Re: travelling with piggies

Mikey pandameisje at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:37:06 EDT 2005

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the group, I'm also a newbie. But glad I might be of
assistance to you perhaps.
At first I had one guinea pig, but I notice now that the two piggies I
have now are more lively. So I have to agree with Lisa that it is
better to have two or more pigs. And it really it's a lot more work
than having one. I don't think you should buy just one pig because i'm
afraid it will get lonely.
About travelling: I used to travel a lot with my first guinea. Then I
was just a student and travelled home almost every weekend to my
family in the other side of the country (about 4 hours by train in the
netherlands). He never had any problems with it. But I think its best
to buy two young guinea pigs, so that they can get used to the
frequent travelling. I read once that gp don't like travelling and
even can get sick or die from it. My two girls, also don't really mind
travelling, I always keep them in one of these cat travel cages (with
lots of hay and food and a bottle of water) when i travel with them.
Before I came to where I am now (which is Czech republic and i am not
allowed to have pigs here :( ) my gp moved two times, after moving the
first time one of them got a less hairy spot, but i can't tell wether
this was from moving or from the irritating kids that were lighting
fireworks (the kinds that give really loud bangs) very near to my
house or a combination of both. The second time they moved (to my
sister who takes care of them while I'm away) they did not really seem
affected by the moving, they were we to happy with their new and
larger cage.
But just keep in mind to maybe buy young piggies and there is the
possibility that they will be affected by the moving around a lot.

Just a small update about my guinea who seemed to be having a fifth
toe. It isn't a toe but just some extra foot sole (sorry don't know
the correct word for it in english). so I don't have to worry about
that anymore :D

ahoj,
Mieke
pandameisje at gmail.com