[Gpdd] misc: one pig or two?

Jaime Lam lamfam at infoserve.net
Thu Apr 21 14:04:51 EDT 2005

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the digest!  You will love your new pig and I too made a cavie cage to suit my boys & girls.  One comment I would like to make.  Piggies are very social and tend to want to be with other pigs.  It would be easier for them when you are working to have company.  If your cage is big enough (or has layers), the pigs can separate themselves if they want quiet time.  I have 2 males and 2 females.  Over the years we have had many babies.  One friend adopted a single pig, but it is so sad to visit, because it is obvious that the pig is lonely.  It does not squeak, purr or communicate verbally.  I now advise all my potential "adoptees" to take 2 pigs.  When I visit these pigs, there is a world of difference.  Some "only" pigs get alot of love from their slaves and it works out fine, but pigs in general are social and like to be with their own kind. They will handle being alone alot easier with company.

Enjoy your pig (or pigs)

Jaime (mom to Butterscotch, Almond, Cola and Darth Mall)