[Gpdd] Health: Dry skin

Jaime Lam lamfam at infoserve.net
Thu Apr 21 13:53:18 EDT 2005

Hi all again,

I am noticing the posts again about dry, itchy skin.  I wrote about my success with "NEEM oil".  It is totally safe and avoids shots and drugs as may be advised by a vet.  I have used it on my boys to great success.  It is used on people for psoriasis and excema.  You will also find it in some shampoos as it is very soothing.   Anyway, I rub it quite liberally on the skin (so your piggies will look wet).  Leave it on for three days and then wash it off.  This also eliminated mites and other pests that may be causing the problem.  The only set back is that NEEM oil stinks!  The pigs don't mind it as they are relieved to not be itchy, but the humans in the house do not like the smell.  NEEM oil can be purchased at health food stores and vitamin outlets.
I don't know if anyone else has tried it - but I consider it a staple in the house for my pigs.  I found out about in online from another cavie raiser who said that it avoided repeat visits to the vet for parasites and dry skin.

Hope this helps,

Jaime (mom to Butterscotch, Darth Mall, Almond and Cola)