[Gpdd] Health: Latest Age to be Bred??

imindawoods1 at adelphia.net imindawoods1 at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 21 20:16:15 EDT 2005

Hi all,
  As we have two Peruvian piggie girls, we suspect that they may be pregnant, and are in a bit of a quandry. WIth information stating that they can be initially bred up to one year of age, I was not too concerned/  I was on the phone with the vet earlier today who said that sows must be bred by the age of 7 months, or else the bones fuse, making delivery impossible.
   Our girls were nine months two weeks ago, and have been in the company of our newest boy.  As we have read confliciting information as to age they must be initially bred by, (from 5 months to 1 year) I was wondering if anyone in this group has had a first time sow bred later than 7 months, and if so, how it went?  I dont want to think of the poor thing laboring and then not making it, and all the babies too.........We are considering a c-section, but were also warned that with guinea pigs, and pregnancy, there can be a lot of blood loss, so that makes it a less than safe procedure too.  Our vet said that since we are on the "cusp" age wise, perhaps we should wait and see whether the bones will part, as they are supposed to do, about 2 days prior to the delivery date.  If not, perhaps we would have to do surgery.
    Anyone have a first time sow become pregnant after 7 months?  I would be very interested how it turned out for her and the babies.
   Thanks
    Carol and her babies