[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Latest age to be bred

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Fri Apr 22 17:18:03 EDT 2005

In a factsheet issued to me by the Cambridge Cavy Trust, it says "at the  CCT
hospital over many years' worth of experience, no radiological evidence has
ever proven this 'bone fusion' theory'. Certainly older first time mothers are
 more likely to experience stasis during labour, but this is often due to
relatively weaker muscles rather than a restrictive passage through the birth
canal. Indeed, Vedra (CCT's founder) has received many elderly first time
mothers at the hospital in order to monitor their potentially dangerous progress
through littering down, and has found that for the most part, the births occur
 with litle problem. Having said that, for a first pregnancy, the optimum age
is  4-5 months to put the sow with a boar".

I hope this will reassure you a little. I was in a similar position about a
year or so ago, when one of my boars escaped into a run containing 4 females
aged over a year who had never been pregnant. I watched closely for signs of
pregnancy and worried like mad that I would lose all 4 in a horrible way  (no
maternity care for guinea pigs here in France). But thankfully, the only one
to produce any offspring was one of 2 experienced mums who were also in the
run  at the same time - what a relief! It was thus we acquired Zebra and
Cannelletto  (although sadly 2 other babies were still born).

If you have a knowledgeable vet, it might be an idea to have him/her on
standby, but I would strongly advise against a precautionary C section - there
are so very many risks involved in surgery on such small creatures, and you want
 mummy pig to feel at her best when feeding her babies if possible.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how it turns out

Debbie and her 18 Dolly Mixtures