[Gpdd] Health: rear end spot update

Robert and Patricia Oglesby rpngso at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 22 19:30:25 EDT 2005

Hi Pig Folk!

Thank you for all the encouragement about Harry.  I sure appreciate the help.

Upon further inspection when my husband came home (I am terribly squeamish and was afraid to get too intrusive without a second pair of hands available), we discovered one spot is indeed Harry's scent gland and the other is some kind of sore.  My hubby was able to gently clean it and much of the black "stuff" came off, like a scab but not dry and crusty.  Underneath is obviously irritated, sore skin.  After the cleaning we treated him with tea tree oil.  He did not mind any of this at all!  He just sat very still and seemed very comfortable.  This spot is about the size of a dime.  I checked it today and it looks like it is drying up a bit.  Later tonight we will clean it again, more tea tree oil.  I'm going to watch it a few days before I rush to the vet.  It's obviously been there a while, doesn't seem to be causing him any pain, and appears to have improved from yesterday.  I have not been able to find any more spots on him.  We've been brushing him with a brush that we've treated with tea tree oil to fend off parasites/fungus.  I gave him a bath Thurs and will do so again next week and every week or so till this spot clears up.

Thanks again for the encouragement!  So glad to have the GPDD!

Patricia