[Gpdd] Health: Medicines and Weight

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 24 13:04:34 EDT 2005

Angela-
I was just reading your post about your trip to the vet - poor little Isis!  She was
probably so frightened there that she appreciated you all the more when you
took her home!  I think anything different is scary to them. I took Hotshot to
the vet on Friday (story later) just as they had an emergency come up. The
doctor suggested I leave him there and come back after lunch. I said no thanks,
I'd either wait with him or bring him back. I waited long enough to call another
vet, who I couldn't see either, so I took him home. We returned later in the day
and got right in, but I stayed right with him to comfort him. (I think it helped me
as much as him!)
Anyway, recently I've been told by someone who works in the retail end of the
industry and raises several different small animals that our Ivermectin we all
think so highly of can actually, over time, in effect liquefy the liver. This is not
from an official study, as far as I know, but if enough people have had cause to
doubt it, I will think twice now before using it. She suggested Panacur as being
even more effective and much safer; it is primarily marketed for horses, but she
has used it on her guinea pigs as well as other animals with great success and
no side effects. So I will consider using that if the occasion arises. I don't want
to panic anyone or start a heated debate, I know many use Ivermectin. Just want
to immediately pass along what I have heard.
As far as weight, I have discovered there is quite a variety in our piggies, as far
as size, so what would be 'normal' weight in one may be very different than in
another. When a lady who runs a small petshop in Tulsa saw Snowy and CocoPuff
last year, she couldn't get over how big they are - she thought they were monsters!
They each weight 3.2 lbs, although Snowy looks bigger (her matronly figure).
When the lady left, the one I was visiting, who had raised them, said it's because
she has so many small pigs at her shop, and mine are out of show stock. (or
maybe it's because they think they have to eat all the time!)
Hotshot and Buzzz started out the same size when they came in December, but
Hotshot quickly outgrew her and now is almost twice her size (could it be due to
her 'sex change'?!!)  Some breeds are just bigger than others, so I guess with
most of ours being all mixed up, it's like a grab bag. LW, son of Puff & Snowy,
is rather small (but he's quick!).
Bottom line, I think as long as your pig is filled out well and healthy, he/she is
just the right size.
So give Isis a big hug from us- she's just right!
Susi and the Okie Piggies
Snowy, CocoPuff, Lil' Whistle, Rosie, Hotshot & Buzzerre
Harley Pigg, Buster, Mac da Roanie, Lady Bugg & Bonnie B.G.