[Gpdd] [Health] Urinary Tract Infections

Lauren Adele Little tqueen at rocketmail.com
Sun Apr 24 19:11:17 EDT 2005

I recently gathered enough money to get my Perry neutered so he can live with my two girls- Petulah and Baby, and I looked around to find a good exotics vet.  He was fine for two weeks and then he started crying while peeing and peeing blood, which I posted before.  I took him to the vet immediately, and he was put on one medicine which didn't work so we were back again.  Now I'm going crazy worrying he's not going to make it since he's lost so much weight and I still don't see great progress on Baytril (his second med) though he was just put on it a few days ago. He has a urinary tract infection and he now is eating very very sparingly and drinking somewhat.  I've been giving him water and pedialyte with a syringe as much as he'll take, as per the vets instructions, but I know there are other things I could be doing.  I'm seriously going crazy!

Can anybody who has an idea post it?  For instance, should I give him cranberry juice?  Do you give it to him straight or diluted? How much?  What about yogurt?  I think i read online that parsley and celery and cornsilk are good...  he's been nibbling on them, but not anywhere near the amount he used to eat!

Also, did someone post a recipe for homemade Critical Care?  I'm probably going to just suck it up and buy it tomorrow though it's so expensive. I'm just so worried... Please post any hints or ideas!  I'm afraid to go on what I half remember from reading the digest.  Thanks so much, guys... I know I don't really post much, but I read every day and it makes me happy that there is such a concerned community of piggie lovers to help out when another is in need! Lauren (Perry, Petulah, and Baby)