[Gpdd] HEALTH - Perry Infection

DebraStory at aol.com DebraStory at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 20:44:25 EDT 2005

Lauren - I hope poor Perry starts feeling better real soon.  If he is losing
that much weight I would advise that you syringe feed him some food every day
as well as letting him eat what he will in his cage.  Until you get Critical
Care, you could grind up some cavy pellets and moisten them with water so that
the mash will come out of the syringe.  I have done this many times when I
haven't had Critical Care.  You should also give Perry some probiotics to keep
his gut flora replenished.  Antibiotics kill the gut flora as well as the "bad
guys".  You need to replenish the good bacteria so he is able to digest his
food.  You can buy Probiotics (such as "BeneBac" or "probios") in tubes from the
vet as well as at some of the feed stores.  Make sure they are for herbivores.
 The ones for horses are often the same as the small animal ones in contents.
 You would just have to adjust the dosage for GPs.  Until you can get
probiotics, you can mash up a fecal pellet from one of the healthy pigs and mix it
with the pellet mash to syringe feed it.  I know it sounds "gross" but it really
works.  My Calico had to have all of these things done after his surgery.  He
is still on antibiotic and probiotics. You should give the probiotics at
least two hours after the antibiotics.  If you don't each will interfere with the
other.  Did the vet X-ray Perry?  It is possible that he has a bladder stone.
I sure hope not.  My Calico just had surgery for one of those and then he got
a bladder infection afterwards.  The poor guy lost a lot of weight as well
and is still having trouble regaining his health.  These little guys are so
fragile sometimes.  I will keep Perry in my thoughts and prayers.  If you need to
talk about anything, please feel free to e-mail me personally as well.  Bye
for now.

Wheeeeps and Piggy Kisses,

Debra, Peanut, Pumpkin, Calico, Snickers, Princess and Creampuff

http://hometown.aol.com/debrastory/

http://members.aol.com/cavylady60435/