[Gpdd] HEALTH: Meds for UTI's

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:48:51 EDT 2005

Greetings, Lisa -

The best case scenario is that your vet will know (or be aggressive about
finding out) which antibiotics cover which bacteria.  QUESTION THEM and
don't feel bad about it!!!  Ask specifically if they are SURE that the
bacteria is sensitive to what they are prescribing.  Baytril is the most
common antibiotic with GP's - tell them that it doesn't cover some bacteria
and ask them if they are aware of that.  If they don't seem to know (or
care) about the details, then - if you have time without it doing more harm
to your piggie - do some research on your own if you can, or ask your vet to
contact an exotocs vet to verify the medication.  Even my exotics vet
consults other vets routinely - a vet that is not willing to do this for the
sake of your pet is one that should be viewed cautiously and carefully.

Pseudomonas is a stubborn problem for both humans and animals.  It has a
built-in defense mechanism of sort of a mucous coating that protects it from
most antibiotics.  That makes it very hard to completely get rid of and
recurrent infections are very common.  The drug family of choice in humans
is Penicillin.  Unfortunately for our little critters, Penicillin is very
very dangerous (pretty much lethal) for them and should not be given except
under circumstances where you absolutely KNOW beyond ANY doubt that the vet
knows what they are doing (and even then I would question it VIGOROUSLY and
still maybe not agree to it except under the most extreme circumstances).

My vet (my exotics vet) - after intense research - has decided on Cipro for
Mollie.  The generic name for it is ciprofloxacin.  You may be familiar with
Cipro from the news in recent months about anthrax scares.  This is the durg
that is given as a preventative (or curative, hopefully) for anthrax.  Also,
it is used in GP's (and others) as an opthalmic ointment for eye infections
that are psuedomonas-based.  I, too, have come across using it for
psuedomonas in my research.  I am praying that it works.  It only comes in
human form, so it has to be made up in a special dosage suspension for
animals.

I hope that answers your questions.  I wish that we could all be experts on
every single detail about our little critters.  I feel so inept and
inadequate and it would be so wonderful to KNOW what the right decisions are
for the piggies.  If any of you see any errors in anything I have written,
please let me know.  I only want to pass along the best info possible and I
definitely want the correct info for all of our little girls and boys.

I can send you the info that I have gathered so far on meds if you wish - it
is very scanty and incomplete, but more than I had to begin with.

Candy; Topper and Mollie

From: Lisa B <cavylover74 at yahoo.com>

I have a question about the bacteria cultured.  After you ask the vet
what kind of bacteria it is, how do you know if the antibiotic they give
you will take care of that certain bacteria?

What kind of antibiotic will kill Psuedomonas?