[Gpdd] Health: bugs in hay

Michael Hunter hunte1mj at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 19:58:18 EDT 2005

We were about to feed our piggies some hay last
evening, when we dropped some on the floor.  Picking
it up, we noticed some very tiny ant-like insects
crawling about in the mess.  Needless to say, we were
pretty disgusted and didn't give any of the hay to our
pigs.  My question is: does anyone have any idea what
these bugs might be, and if they are dangerous?  I've
heard stories on the digest of pigs getting lice from
contaminated hay, but these particular bugs didn't
match the "wormlike" descritption of lice that I've
read.  Our pigs have been eating from this particular
bale of hay for at least a month, and none have shown
any of the health or behavior issues that pigs with
parasites will develop.  None seem to have any
parasites in their hair or on their skin, either.
Should we be worried?

Regards,

Mike and Lyndsay Hunter and the pigs: Molly, Emily,
Lucy, Stella, Hannah, and Buddy (aka Guinness)