[Gpdd] CARE-- Oxbow

Kimi San freakmage.kimi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:14:38 EDT 2005

Hi all. A quick note before I get to my point: I think it will be a few
months yet before the web page with the final chapters of Palace of the
Piggle is released. It's hard to work on things right now because most of my
hardware and in fact, most things I own are currently packed in boxes, I'm
temporarily living at home. It'll be easier to work on once I get to my
apartment in September. Thanks for all your patience, I promise to make it a
very nice page!

But anyway, just wanted to say that Chloe seems to be enjoying Oxbow, and
I'm glad because I was very nervous when I got it. You see, when I went to
the store for piggy food, Chloe was out, one hundred percent
did-not-have-one-pellet-left out of food. (well there was food in her dish,
of course, but none in the container I keep her food in... every once in a
while I get forgetful about picking up a bag before it gets too low). I
looked in two pet stores and nobody, but nobody, was carrying the food she
eats for some reason! I was upset because she's a picky little eater. But
she has been eating the Oxbow food despite the rudely sudden introduction
and is doing fine on it. In the future I'll mix the two when I can afford it
(Oxbow's one disadvantage is that it's expensive, which gets tough for a
college student like me).

That's provided I can find her usual brand again by golly. I was feeding her
Kaytee Supreme, which has pellets and also bits of oatmeal in it. She just
loves that oatmeal. I know it's not the absolute awesomest thing in the
world to feed her, but it just seems like such a tiny thing to make her
happy. My sister's accident happened on the way home from her favorite
sandwich place... I'd rather that than to have her die at the age of 98 with
the regret that she was never allowed to leave the house and get a %$#!
sandwich. So the pig can have all the oatmeal she bloody well wants, and I
don't care how irrational that is. ;) There's woefully few options in piggy
food these days, at least in this area, and I'd rather feed her that than
something cheap made of corn, or that other junk with SEEDS in it! Can you
believe that?! Seeds, so foolish, I can just see Chloe choking on a
sunflower husk, and it can't be very good for them either.

Speaking of what's good for them, does anybody know what to do when a piggy
is getting too pudgy even for a piggy? I have barely been able to care for
myself (in fact I was almost as helpless as a baby for a little while, it's
a good thing I have nice friends or I don't know what I would have done with
myself). Subsequently, life took what must have been a cruel and dizzyingly
sudden turn for poor dear Chloe, and she hasn't gotten the out of cage time
as much. The first month at least her out-of-cage time went straight to zero
because aside from feeding and cleaning up nobody wanted to go upstairs if
they could help it (Kori's room is there). Now that I'm doing somewhat
better I'd like to try and turn things around for her. In the new place
there will be safe space for her to get out and really stretch her legs
without danger to her or from her, but right now about the only place I
could let her scamper in good conscience is the bathroom, a place she's not
crazy about, possibly because of the association with the occasional bath.
Does anyone know what I can do? I suppose I could just wait the one more
month for the move and keep out-of-cage time frustratingly guarded for her
until then but I thought maybe you guys would have suggestions, at least on
how to keep life IN the cage more interesting for her. I daresay she's
bored.

Thanks in advance everyone, sorry for the long post!
~~Kimi and Chloe