[Gpdd] <Health>Gabby's Skin Problem

Laura lauramelville at comcast.net
Sat Aug 6 12:54:34 EDT 2005

I wrote last week in regards to my poor Gabby's skin problem.  Thanks so much to all that responded - I had so much information and ideas I wasn't sure where to start!!!  Thanks to Dwanda for directing me to Peter Gurney's website.  I discovered that Gabby's condition more closely resembled a fungal infection rather than a parasite one.  I ordered all the oils for the treatment online, but am still waiting on the last batch to arrive.  In the meantime, Gabby gets baths every 2 days (at cage cleaning time) with Selsun Blue shampoo (also recommended by Peter Gurney) and you would not believe how much his skin has improved!!!!  Gabby himself is even getting back to his normal personality - which is a huge step - he was sitting on his shelf the other day squealing for breakfast (something he hasn't done in 6 weeks - though he did continue to eat).  So I know he's getting better.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the WoodyPet Bedding?  And if so, how do you like it?  I normally use Aspen as I can't afford CareFresh for 10 pigs (though Gabby's in it at the moment) and of course, always looking for something better.  Also what about Yesterday's News?  I use it in the rabbit litter box, but have never tried the type for cage bedding.  The pelleted stuff always seemed to me would be uncomfortable for the pig to have to lay on, so I was wondering if you use it - how does it affect your pigs?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Laura
visit me @ http://stratcatonline.blogspot.com/