[Gpdd] health: pregnancy

Mikey pandameisje at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 12:56:49 EDT 2005

Hi all GPDD-ers,

I have two beautiful female piggies, which I would like to have a nest
from. Because i was told it could be dangerous to have a nest from a
sow of more than a year old because their hipbones would grow together
or something like that, i emailed my vet (or actually not really my
vet because he doesn't have an email, but i visited this vet half a
year ago when they just opened and seemed very good to my pigs) to
check on that.
She told me that its not really a good idea to have a nest from a sow
over one and a half year old, if they did not have a nest before. One
of my pigs is over one and a half year old be the other is not, it
would stil be 3 months. So i am thinking about maybe having a nest
from her. I think she will have beautiful kids, because she herself is
beautiful. But however I do not want to risk anything with her, so i
was wondering if anyone of you knows until what age they can get
pregnant without the 'boneproblem'? Maybe there is a way to feel
wether the bones have grown together yet or not? My sister took care
of my pigs when i was in Czech republic for half a year, and now she
really wants her own pigs. I would be a nice present to have a
decendant of my Guiny which she cared for for half a year! I read that
first litter are usually about two or three pigs, so i will not have
much trouble placing them with my sister or others or keep them
myself.

But before i try to actually get a nest i would like to know from
anyone who ever had a nest of these young ones: Is it a lot more work
to have young ones? I never had more work with mine when they were
still young but i want to be sure that i will be able to spent enough
time with them and care for them. Also what do the little ones eat? Is
there anything else i should know concerning raising little ones?

I was also wondering this, my pigs are together now and get along
pretty well, but how will the react to young ones? should i seperate
them for a while, anyone any ideas or will i just have to see how they
take it?

My brother has boy pigs, who are both like one of my pigs (that is one
rex and one smoothhaired one). My guiny will be with the smoothhaired
one than, but he is quite agressive to the other male, i hope he will
be nice to my guiny otherwise there will be no kids!

so: does anyone know about the thing with the bones? i checked on
peter guirneys site, but it did not say anything about it.
What can i expect from have a nest?

I kind of see my little furry girls like my kids, (i am 23 and do not
really want to have human kids yet) i guess most of you also see your
pigs like that? Was just interested about that!

Hope you can help me!
Mikey