[Gpdd] [SILLY] Singing to pigs

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 12:42:01 EDT 2005

Stephen, thank you so much for sharing your piggie song. I must admit, I
only really sing to one of my 18 Dolly Mixtures, and that is my favourite,
Soulage. I know that makes me sound like a bad mom, to single out one as a
favourite, but once my total went above 10, I realised that I couldn't have that
lovely close relationship you guys all enjoy with your piggies with every one of
my 18 - not enough hours in the day! So I singled out Soulage to be the one
that  gets picked up and cuddled the most, and it's when I'm cuddling her I
sing to  her. Don't think for one minute that I don't tell them all that I love
them every day, because I do - every night when I put them to bed I say,
"Mummy  loves you, every single one," and sometimes, if Gisele has been
particularly  difficult to catch, or Muscade has been barbering the others, or Caramel
trying  to keep all the food to herself, I add, "EVEN Gisele" or "EVEN Muscade"
or  whatever!

I have to say, Soulage is a very sassie pig and pretends she hates being  the
favourite. She makes a big fuss when I pick her up, until I give her a
treat. But she loves a cuddle, and especially beside the fire in winter, and I
know she actually loves being brushed, in spite of the fact she has a great big
shake to re-establish the 'bad hair day' look that is her norm the moment I
put  the brush down. She knows I love her to bits, and she loves to tease me -
sometimes she doesn't come out of her igloo in the mornings and makes me feed
her in there, and I can just hear her saying, "What yer goin' to do, mom, yer
 special little Soulage is ill - are yer worried, mom, are yer goin'  to
have a big panic and get me special food?" Then after a while she comes running
out laughing and starts chomping on the food along with the others, and I can
just hear her saying, "Ha ha, fooled yer!" That's just the sort of little
madam  she is.

I'm ashamed to say it's nothing nearly as exotic as your song that I sing  to
Soulage. I basically just sing "The mummy loves her little Soulage" over and
over again to the tune of "My bonnie lies over the ocean." But I tell you
what -  I'm going to make a big effort to memorise a verse a night of your song,
and  sing it to the whole herd, because it describes so very aptly just how I
feel  about them all.

So many thanks, once again, Stephen, for giving me a musical way of
expressing my love to my piggies, and I'll look forward to reading lots of other
piggie songs, because I'm sure there will be lots posted - the love we feel for
our furry friends is sure to have prompted many of us to burst into song.

It's strange, because when I was teaching I was always composing songs and
rhymes to help my pupils remember things, but the only song I ever composed for
 piggies was after George the guinea pig's father posted about little Lilac,
the  piggie that died in the pet shop. It was "Nobody's Pig", to the tune of
"Nobody's Child", and much too sad ever to sing!

##]@@@
HOP)nmkl[

The above was just written totally unaided by my lop eared rabbit, Bisou,
whose son was found suddenly dead in his hutch just three days ago. He was only
20 months old and had seemed fit as a fiddle. She lost her husbun last
November,  so now is all alone, which is why I am writing this on our laptop in her
little meadow. I am amazed that she managed to print "HOP" unaided, and I  am
leaving it in this email out of respect for her feelings. Hope no one  minds.

Condolences to all who have lost furbies recently - I still say the pain
never goes away, nor does it ever become easier the more deaths one experiences.
But all of you know that all of us understand how you feel, and send you
comforting hugs.

Debbie and her 18 Dolly Mixtures