[Gpdd] Coryne Bacteria and ABs that work?

JoAnn Thompson joann_m_t at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 16:07:29 EDT 2005

Hello!  My vet just got back to me with the results from Rugi's urine culture. She has a coryne bacteria - does anyone know what this is and how she could have gotten it?

He wanted to give Rugi an antibiotic that is in the penicillin family and I told him no (sorry - I forget the name because I'm not familiar with this type of stuff -- I just know that penicillin is bad for guineas).

He said the AB most recommended by the Lab was Chloramphenicol (which according to the guinea lynx site is a safe drug).  However, he does not know if we can get it. He said it's been pulled off the market. Any alternative suggestions if we're unable to get? Thanks!