[Gpdd] [HEALTH] popcorn's teeth

Deborah Tanovich dtanovich at sprint.ca
Fri Aug 19 00:29:34 EDT 2005

My little fellow came home this afternoon, minus his right lower incisor.  Apparently he either had an abcess or some type of infection and it has apparently destroyed the tooth.  The other tooth is slightly affected but should be OK. The vet says it may never come back but he should be OK to eat, just cut carrots small or shred them.  His other molars were shaved down a bit and will need to be watched and checked periodically.  Everyone at the vet's loves him because he is so mellow and personable.  After surgery he devoured a pile of timothy hay--one of the nurses told me that Popcorn would get a hold of a long piece of hay and munch it down in no time.  The vet, however, said that when he went to check on Popcorn, he stopped eating and gave him a look as if to say "Go away, you've done enough to me for one day."

Popcorn was not a happy piggie when I picked him up.  He crawled up my chest to my ear and proceeded to give me the dickens for leaving him at that place.  There was much muttering and mumbling when he was in his carrier all the way home.  When we got home, he made a complete inspection of his cage, head butted his pigaloo into "his" spot and promptly flopped down beside his timothy hay and began to munch.  We have rested ever since.  Another week of Medicam and Baytril and then another checkup.

I would like to thank all the members of the digest who sent us wishes by private email and through the digest.  Your words of encouragement and comfort meant a lot to this very nervous mom.  Guinea pig people are the best!!

Love and thanks
Deborah Tanovich