[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Chloramphenicolfor Rugi

Sandra Oliver-Poore oliverpoore at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 19 12:36:06 EDT 2005

Hi JoAnn

My Exotics Vet uses chloramphenicol in suspension and ointments but you have to be extremely careful with it due to very rare side effects in humans!!   One in a million or so, people will have a severe reaction to even touching it, possibly fatal, so I had to wear gloves when using it.  It is safe and very effective for piggies

If this scares you off have him check out the efficacy of Baytril and Cipro  against the bug your piggy has.  Also, incase you are new to this ,  you will need to give your piggy probiotics 2 hrs before and after his antibiotics so he wont lose so much gut flora that he gets diarrhea which can be fatal

keep in touch with us all as you go through this and hurry to get started on your antibiotics
Sandy