[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Rugi's antiobiotic regimen

Sandra Oliver-Poore oliverpoore at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 23 13:34:12 EDT 2005

Hi JoAnn

In my opinion I would not take Rugi off either the chloramphenicol or the probiotic.  I would call the vet to double check that he mixed the antibiotic correctly, that the proper amount is being prescribed and that the amount you are giving is right, its easy to mix up the amount or use the wrong size syringe.  In my opinion Rugi probably got sicker cause he had to wait so long for the medicine and its just showing up now.  Since the vet cultured the bacteria he knows that chloramphenicol is the exact right drug. I think and pray Rugi will start to feel better soon

You don't mention what probiotic you are giving, maybe you can try flavored yogurt with active cultures.  Give it frequently throughout the day in between doses and use it as a dressing on his veggies so he wont get a tummy ache.  Watch his stools. if he gets soft ones or diarrhea you can add children's kaopectate or ask the vet for Reglan.

keep your chin up and scratch Rugi's chin to  I know its so hard when your baby feels bad
Sandy