[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Spikey's teeth

Deborah Tanovich dtanovich at sprint.ca
Fri Aug 26 23:48:23 EDT 2005

Dear Carole

I read your posting about Spikey not eating.  My Popcorn had the same problem, plus he was really irritable when I would stroke the right side of his face.  As I posted earlier, Popcorn had to have some dental surgery where his right lower incisor was removed and he had to have his molars shaved down.  We were at the vet's yesterday for followup and Popcorn is doing well.  He has to stay on Baytril every other day for another 3 weeks to make sure all the infections and abcesses are gone.

I guess what I am saying is please take your Spikey to a vet who specializes in guinea pigs and have his back teeth looked at.  I agree with Dr. Kay Rudman from GPDD #331 where she asks you to have his teeth looked at.  Our little furbabies can't tell us when they hurt so we have to be vigilant.

On a silly note, when we took Popcorn in to see the vet, I asked about some matted hair at his bum.  I thought I should just cut it out so I wouldn't hurt him.  Well the vet got a hold of him and proceeded to "demat" the blob.  Popcorn took exception to this mightily and decided it was time to run.  He was on the metal examining table, I had him held around the tummy and the vet was picking out the mat.  Since his bum was in the air and I was holding him, it sounded just like he was tap dancing!!  We all into the laughing but Popcorn was not amused.  I got the silent treatment the rest of the day. I have since been forgiven.

Leah--healing wheeeeeeks to Brownie Bear, may this just be a temporary thing.  She's a fighter and I pray she will come through this too.

Love and piggy kisses
Deborah and Popcorn (the unamused)