[Gpdd] Guinea pig behavior: Barbering

imindawoods1 at adelphia.net imindawoods1 at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 27 17:18:49 EDT 2005

Hi all,
    I noticed just two days ago while bathing one of my peruvian sows that the less dominant of the two girls had been severely barbered by her sister pig!  Amazingly  the skin is intact, but her beautiful long  coat has been indeed cut short on one side all along from her face to her mid back!
   Immediately, I removed the "offending pig", to see if a few days apart would cause the hair to begin to grow back, and indeedm inspection of the area today, shows some tiny hairs peeking through!!!  I was not sure whether it was the sow herself doing it or my other (very dominant) sow.  So, now, do I have to keep these ladies apart forever if I dont want this to recur?  It is sad to see them looking for eachother, as they are close together but not in the same cage.
    Anyone deal with barbering I would appreciate your thoughts on this,

Tnanks!
  Carol and Zeppolle and Sfingie