[Gpdd] Health: Give acidophulus when on antibiotics

Genealogy/vonville/Cavy pigs/Ahnenvorschung vonville at mstar2.net
Sun Aug 28 03:36:06 EDT 2005

Tummy and absorption problems abound when one takes antibiotics.  One of the best things to do is to give acidopulus(spelled different ways); it's in yogurt...the "live"...dophilus.  It helps put the good bugs back into their stomach; antibiotics kill the good bugs and cause many problems.  Do not give it exactly at the same times you give the antibiotics but, at least an hour later or after giving the antibiotics.  The antibiotics will immediately kill the good bugs, too. if the yogurt is given at the exact time of the day as the antibiotics are given. Pig won't like it but, pig needs it so diahhrea, "grunting", not eating and feeling really yucky won't happen.  There are some tubes at the Pet stores which are designed to put the good bugs back in, too.  I use goat acidophilus but, any live acidophulus will do the trick, only need it until about 1 week after the antibiotics stop; or if the pig is still not feeling well.  Put some on the top of his/her front paws and smear some into their mouth on on the hair nearby.  They will eat it as they think they are cleaning it.  Acidophilus helps humans with tummy problems and help our stomachs to settle down, if we have used antibiotics or messed up our stomachs with something strong.  Check with your doctor or alternative health care professional...or...go by your "gut feeling"/spiritual guide and do what is said or you feel is right.
Thank you and have an oinkingly great day!