[Gpdd] [CARE] Housing

Diana diana_barbour at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:03:45 EST 2005

Wheeks to all!  I have yet another question regarding the care of my mistress, Lucy Sophie Cavy-Piggie.  Her Ladyship's Piggie Penthouse, an imported Italian cage (I mean it when I say only the best for Miss Lucy!) called a Marchioro Luna 82, has a plastic grid thingie ( the squares are too small for little feet to get stuck in)  inside a larger plastic drawer that slides in and out from the side for cleaning.  The large plastic drawer, however, contains two smaller drawers that pull in and out from the front, which renders that larger bottom somewhat less than watertight...so when her water bottle leaks(she likes to play with it and make a big mess with the water), it can combine with piggie pee that has flowed down through the grid and runs out onto the human carpeting.  I put at least three inches worth of Carefresh in there for her, which takes up a little over half of the fifty liter bag size, which is getting to be a little expensive for us with a weekly changing and twice-daily removal of soiled bedding.

Lucy's vet told us that newspaper would work just fine, but I am reluctant to use just newspaper, because I would worry about her chewing on it and ingesting the ink and possibly the paper, besides which, she LOVES her Carefresh, she popcorns all around and runs underneath it when I am putting it into her cage...but I was thinking of using a thick layer newspaper over the grid thingie and under a thinner layer of Carefresh.  It would stop the litter from falling out into the drawers, which would in theory keep it in the cage to absorb liquids better, and theoretically I could just roll it up with the Carefresh inside and pitch it, which would be easier than removing the whole bottom of the cage and dumping the used litter out into a garbage bag.

The towels/blankets washed daily thing would not work for us because we live in a huge apartment complex and it is often difficult to get a washer/dryer that is open in any of the laundry rooms, and it costs a buck a load per machine, which would really add up.  And replacing her beloved Pig Penthouse is not an option, either, she really loves her little home.

Whee anxiously await expert advice,

Diana
Slave to Miss Lucy Sophie Cavy-Piggie