[Gpdd] Breeding--what age

DEB GANLEY debg43 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 10 21:50:02 EST 2005

Your first consideration before making Punky a mommy is the babies--where will they go when they're ready to go to their forever homes?  Are you going to keep them all?  Are you ready for all the extra work & expense that more pigs would entail?  My Molly had 4 babies last year (she came home from Humane pregnant, it certainly wasn't our decision)--I was extremely lucky to find 2 wonderful homes for 3 of the babies with caring,experienced friends.  We kept Emma with us.  But that  isn't the usual scenario when pigs have babies--too many wind up in homes where the kids lose interest & the pigs end up in shelters.  I hate to sound harsh- yes, the babies are adorable,  lots of fun & it's a wonderful experience having them--but you have to think of what's best for the future generation.  Please reconsider allowing Punky to have babies..  Deb, Potter, Molly & Emma