[Gpdd] HEALTH: Black things in Phylo's fur

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Thu Dec 15 09:56:49 EST 2005

Megan, we would guess that the black flakes in Phylo's fur are a yeast
problem.  This sometimes happens with piggies, especially those with very
long (or wild and crazy) fur.  Our Joey (RIP) was a Texel and had these
flakes.  My vet recommended Malaseb shampoo, and it works wonders.  It
costs about $8 a bottle, but it lasts up to a year.  Lather up your guy,
leave the shampoo on about ten minutes, then rinse.  Of course, this time
of year, if you are in a cold climate, you might want to wait for a warmer
day, or turn up the heat in your house.  Dry Phylo thoroughly, too.

HTH,
Cindy, Sunshine, and Tumbleweed