[Gpdd] Health: Guinea pig with paralysis

Libby Bradford bradfolg at cs.vt.edu
Fri Dec 16 13:18:14 EST 2005

Hello all,

I haven't written in a very long time.  We've lost piggies and gained
several others.  I'll try to remember to list all of my current little
ones at the end of the message.

On Wednesday night, we had to rush a piggie to the vet.  He had suddenly
lost the use of his back legs.  He was fine earlier in the evening, but
by 10:30, he was dragging his back legs and was very unstable on his
feet.  The vet x-rayed him and found at least one blown disc and
possibly two others.  He's been at the vet the last two days, for
injections of prednisone (and because we couldn't get him due to the bad
weather) and some TLC.  So far, his legs haven't been of any use to
him.  We're still hoping we'll see some improvement, but I thought I
would ask: has anyone had a piggie with no use of his back legs?
Otherwise, Dink is perky as can be.  He's eating, drinking, and doing
his normal things -- except he can't bounce around like he used to.
He's just such a perky little guy, we can't give up on him!

We know that he'll need a smaller space, so he won't feel that he needs
to move around so much, and that he'll need to be on towels and
carefresh.  He'll need lots of care just to make sure he doesn't get
infections.

Any other suggestions or experiences with this?

Wheeks from the singing guinea pigs (in order of seniority  -- based on
when we got them):
Louis XIV, Tangie, Dink, Duck, Alf, Ozzie, Henry VIII, Pepe, Isabella,
Charlie, Kate, Leopold, and Edgar Allan Weirdo

Libby

--
Libby G. Bradford
Academic Advisor - Computer Science

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
Anonymous