[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: R.I.P. Mollie

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 17 07:31:44 EST 2005

My dear digest friends -
I have tried and tried to think of what to post in the
digest that would do justice to our sweet, tiny little
MollieBug.  I have finally accepted that I simply cannot
do her justice in words of any language that I know.
Below, you will find a copy of the email that I sent out
to notify my loving family and friends that we had lost
our dear Mollie.  Rather than try to alter it or begin all
over, I have chosen to post it as my notification to you,
my digest family, as well.  Please forgive me if you feel
that this disrespects Mollie or does a disservice to her in
any way.  It's just that I realized that if I wait to try to
say it just exactly right and perfect to the people who
understand my pain most - all of you - I will never be
able to write it.  My apologies in advance for the length.
I am going to send it in it's entirety.
Much love to all of you,
Candy, lost and numb
Topper, still completely silent, grieving, grieving, grieving
Cat X, wondering where the 'little one' went and why
          the 'bigger one' won't play with her
Carl (hubby) who still has big ol' tears flowing freely
and for Mollie, always in our hearts, waiting at the Bridge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In memory of our sweet Mollie
February 14, 2002 - December 15, 2005

Greetings, Family -

Since I have asked you for your thoughts and prayers
for her several times this year, I am writing to all of you to
give you a final update on our beloved guinea pig, Mollie.

I won't go into details about her decline (I know that's a
shock for many of you - ha), but, although having periods of
doing pretty well, Mollie had been gradually fading in energy
and health.  She has always had such a little warrior spirit -
always fighting actively to get better; always doing everything
asked of her without complaint; always bouncing back to her
wonderful little self.  In the past few days, it became obvious
that this was her final battle and she no longer had the stamina
or the will to fight.  This was her time and she made it clear to
me in all ways possible that she was tired and in pain and
needed to rest.

She died in my arms at the vet's office with her dear Topper
beside her.  As soon as she was gone, her little face relaxed
and became so peaceful and her fur smoothed out and looked
so shiny and beautiful.  Even with my heart shattered, it was
impossible not to realize and accept that we had made the
merciful, respectful, and right decision for her.  She gave us her
love and joy and trust.  I hope that she knew how much we
loved her and how much we will always miss her.

Topper - our usually hellacious, raucous, loud, bodacious boar -
has not uttered one sound since she died.  Not one sound.
Although he finally started to eat and drink late yesterday, he
has stayed inside his little house and only comes out to climb
into my hands for me to hold him and love him.  This will be a
severe and lasting loss for him.  He was totally dedicated to
Mollie and, as late as Thursday night, was still gently nudging
her to the food bowl trying to get her to eat and leading her
to the water bottle and nudging her face towards it trying to
get her to drink.  Please continue to keep him in your hearts
and thoughts as he grieves for her and adjusts to being
without her and alone.

Thank all of you for the numerous notes you sent in response
to my emails during Mollie's most serious illnesses.  Your words of
love and comfort and understanding meant more than I can tell
you.  Some folks think it's silly to be so attached and involved with
such a small, little animal.  None of you treated this situation with
anything but love and respect and that touched me deeply and
provided a tremendous amount of strength and support for me.
I have found that the size of a wee beastie has nothing whatsoever
to do with the amount of love that is generated, and there was
tremendous love for our tiny little MollieBug.

So, from her beloved Topper and her Auntie Cat X, from Carl, and
from me, thank you for your love, concern, and support over the
past year.  There are not words to express our appreciation.

I hope that you will spend the holidays in joy and safety surrounded
by those you hold most dear and that 2006 will be a strong and
wonderful year for you.

I love and miss you.

Candy