[Gpdd] [MISCELLANEOUS] Funny True Story

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Sun Dec 18 05:01:39 EST 2005

Every year around this time in France, volunteer firemen come round selling
calendars to raise money for their service. My partner went out to the chap
that  came yesterday (we live in the middle of nowhere, so they come in cars),
and  when he came in, I looked across our big living room at the calendar in
his hand  and said, "From here that picture on the back looks just like a guinea
pig". Of  course, I knew it couldn't be a guinea pig, because they are always
pictures of  firemen putting out fires, or cutting people from cars, or
pumping out floods  and so on. But you know how it is - when one has piggies on the
brain like us,  we see piggies everywhere, don't we?!

So Pete said to me, "Well yes, actually, it is a guinea pig!". Naturally I
thought he was teasing, but I took the bait and rushed across to look. Sure
enough, it was very unmistakably a guinea pig, sheltering under a very smart,
shiny fireman's helmet. Now I got very excited. Wow, a guinea pig on the
firemen's calendar! Status for piggies in France at last! I asked if Pete had  told
the fireman that we had 18 piggies (he hadn't) and wished I had gone out  and
seen the fireman myself and told him about our 18 piggies, maybe even
brought him in to see them. You know how it is - any excuse to show off  ones
piggies!

But then my heart sank. Because I started reading the poem that accompanied
the photo. And would you believe it - the poem was all about a HAMSTER!!!! I
couldn't believe it - how could anyone mistake a guinea pig for a  hamster!!

I wouldn't mind, but one of our vet's assistants is one of the volunteer
firemen - you'd have thought she would have put them right. It just goes to
prove what I have always said on here - the French are very ignorant about  guinea
pigs!!

On a brighter note, though - I have just managed to sell 2 "Beware of the
Guinea Pig" little laminated signs on Ebay ("Attention au cochon d'Inde""),
featuring, of course, photos of Dolly Mixtures - one of my sassy favourite,
Soulage, who now considers herself to be a glamour model, and the other of
Pirouette and her friend, dear departed Scruff. So there are some piggie slaves
even here!!

Hope this little tale made you chuckle, anyway!

Debbie and her Dolly Mixtures