[Gpdd] Health: Update on Dink - with paralysis

Libby G. Bradford bradfolg at vt.edu
Thu Dec 22 20:17:07 EST 2005

Hello to you all.

I think I've responded to everyone who sent such kind notes and
suggestions for help with Dink.  It's been a little over a week, but we
haven't seen any real improvement in his condition.  A week ago
yesterday, the vet diagnosed one (if not three) blown discs in his
back.  He is dragging his little legs behind him, but can move around at
a pretty good clip if he tries.

He spent Wednesday through Friday at the vet's last week.  Well, on
Thursday, the vet took him home with him when they closed early due to
bad weather.  I picked him up on Friday afternoon and had to cry a bit
when I got him to the car.  Dink's always been so perky, just bouncing
all over the pen, and doing the "elephant on his bowl" trick (standing
with all 4 feet on a 3 inch diameter bowl).  It was very hard to see him
in his carrier, all balled up.  When he heard me, he came scurrying to
the other side of the carrier, to get closer to me.  I strapped his
carrier into the car, made it was level, and got him comfortable.  Then,
I sat and cried for a few minutes.  But, he doesn't seem to be in any
pain and seems to want to hang in there, so we need to try to help him.

We've giving extra vitamin C, critical care, and lots of TLC.  The vet
recommended trying a bit of physical therapy, which we do, to keep his
legs flexible, just in case he gets the use of them back.  He does seem
to be able to balance himself, if placed upright on his four paws.  And
I could have sworn I saw him scratching his head with one of his back
feet, but we haven't seen him to do it since.

He seems to be doing pretty well, in all other aspects.  He does need to
have a bit of a tushy wash, if he doesn't move around much.  He also
seems to have had times when he doesn't seem to be interested in eating,
but those are just short times, when he seems to get a bit of a gassy
tummy.  We're giving him metaclopimide (sp?) for gut motility and he's
still taking prednisone.

His appetite seems to be pretty good, for the most part, and he purrs
when we pet him and when his neighbor, Henry VIII comes over and looks
in his pen.

Dink is 5 1/2, as best we know.  He's such a perky piggie, we can't give
up on him.  I do know that if he gets to the point where he won't eat on
his own that I'll have to make the decision to help him to the bridge.
I certainly hope it won't come to that!

Please keep Dink in your thoughts.  He's one of the 3 remaining Hampton
100 that we have.  Remember them?

Libby and the piggies
Louis XIV, Tangie, Dink, Duck, Alf, Ozzie, Henry VIII, Pepe, Isabella,
Charlie, Kate, Leopold, and Edgar Allan Weirdo