[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Russell-roni left us today

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 20:09:59 EST 2005

It is with a totally broken heart that I tell you that Russell left my sister and I and his best buddy Pippin for the Bridge. He had his surgey to remove the stones in his bladder and put in a catheter for a while in case some little stone pieces were left over. The stone just broke apart every time they tried to take it out. He was finally all flushed out, the catheter was in place and everything... He was a little slow to wake up but he came around and went home with my sister who is a licensed vet tech, so he went home in the best of care. She was cuddling him when he suddenly seized and then died. We don't know why he is gone. He was doing pretty well earlier today. He took some CC and was taking fluids. He wasn't rattly or anything, his lungs were clear, but now our Russell is gone and it is our fault. Look what we did to him.

  Instead of just doing the urethrotomy like we were originally thinking and then going for shilintong to reduce the stone size we thought mayeb we better just have it all out. Maybe it took too long. We should have gone with our gut feeling... He would probably still be here.

  Liane adopted Russell, aka Russell Stover because he looks like a box of chocolates, all chocolates, creams and caramels, from a rescue we worked with prior to branching off on our own. Then one of my rescues had babies and Pippin was born and along came Russell's new best friend. They always came to the front of the cage together and wheeked for food like they were dying of starvation and their bones were showing. Russell always made these worried little noises when he was held, like ok, when I am going back to my food dish? Is Pip going to eat it all while I am gone? They aren't going to clip my nails are they? I HATE that!

  Liane put Russ in with Pip after he had gone and Pip raced after and covered him with his body like he was trying to warm him up. He kept nudging him him like come on buddy, don't leave me. Then he gave up and lied down next to him, knowing his buddy is gone.

  We've lost four pigs this year, Mr. Zippy, who also came from the same rescue as Russell and died suddenly. Murray, my Murr-burr who I had to help to the bridge because of the mammary tumor. Chewie, Chew-barra, the little train-wreck of a guy that made such improvements and then left me so fast. Now Russell, with this bladder stone surgery. My dog, Jack also died this year from immune-mediated thrombocytopenia/hemolytic anemia.

  So many of my babies lost to me in one year. I take comfort in knowing they are at peace and that they knew how much I loved them. Their memories bring me both laughter and tears still. I miss them so very much.

  Give all of your babies a special hug tonight and every night. Each night we share with them is so very precious...

  Be well all,
  Lisa and the grieving gang at Wheeks and Squeaks
  Murray, Chewie, Mr. Zippy, Russell, and Jack, emblazoned on my heart forever