[Gpdd] Health: Mite treatment

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Sat Dec 31 19:16:10 EST 2005

Jaime was talking about tiny doses of something for mites. Your vet
sounds very nice by the way. I would like to know what he gave Radar
too. I know hamsters are smaller than rats a lot of times, and *way*
smaller than guinea pigs.

A guinea pig breeder showed me one time how she treats mites on her
pigs. I hesitate to say anything because I don't know exactly what I'm
recommending. But I think it is useful info to put into your file of
facts, and use your judgement. Anyhow she gets the flea treatment for
dogs like Advantage or K9 Advantix and she puts a tiny drop behind her
piggies ears, like you might put on perfume.

I was rat-sitting (taking care of another teacher's classroom pet rat)
and the little rattie was itching so we gave him a little drop of
K9Advantix behind each ear. And the scratching went away. Honestly I was
fortunate -- I could have killed him-- because I did not know how much
was too much. I had the flea meds for dogs up to 55 pounds. That could
have been way too much, but luckily it was okay.

A few days ago I did the same thing for my piggie Snowball because he
has been itching. I was more conservative with Snowball because in the
meantime I learned more about the dangers of giving too much flea
medicine. Even though he probably weighs 2-3 times more than Pablo the
rat, I took only one drop and used part behind each ear. Now I haven't
noticed him scratching himself as much, but just a little. If you got
the dosage for smaller dogs it would be safer for a tiny little hamster.
Radar is such a cute name for a hamster.

Happy New Year!
Carla, Snowball, ~and Snickers in our hearts