[Gpdd] MISC. - oranges

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Tue Feb 1 17:51:29 EST 2005

Leah,

     The oranges story was soooo funny because that's how Bud acted the first time I gave him oranges. I tried them a couple times when he was young, hanging them on his kabob skewer, but he totally avoided them. Just recently I was having an orange for my morning 'coffee' break. I sit next to his cage and he usually shares a piece of whatever fruit I'm having. He's gotten so smart that when it's close to break time he starts begging every time I walk through the kitchen. Anyway, the morning I was having the orange, after he begged for a couple minutes, I got up and cut half a section in to 'bite-size' pieces. I put the pieces into a small food bowl and, when I put them in his cage, he DIVED into them and ate them all! I don't know what has changed but now he likes them.
     Bud doesn't get a lot of fruit, especially oranges because they're so acidic, but he seems to be expanding his dietary preference list! Last summer when I got him he HATED strawberries. He AVOIDED them at all cost when I put them in his cage. I'm eager to see what his reaction will be this spring when strawberry season is here again.

Carla and Picky Bud