[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Re: Popcorning squeak

butzm at ece.osu.edu butzm at ece.osu.edu
Wed Feb 2 08:27:40 EST 2005

Sam, Rosie and I wanted to say thank you to everyone for the warm welcome.

Also, CJ, Sam wanted to throw in his $.02 about the popcorning squeak.
When I come home from work, I usually hear that coming from the cage.  I
know it's him because he's a big boy and there's a loud THUD that
accompanies it.  The only other times I have noticed him do a popcorn
squeek thing is when he's really excited (mostly on floor time).  So I
take that to mean two things, depending on the circumstance.  When I come
home, I take that to mean "Yippeeee!!  You're home!  Now we get goodies
and kisses!" or when he's on the floor "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!"  I think
he really likes running around with Rosie.

So, I would take it as a good thing.  On another note, I had to share
this.  When my husband goes out of town for a business trip, I set up
"super-mega" floor time for my pigs.  I give them the entire dining room
and half of the living room.  The night my husband was coming home from
the last trip, Sam and Rosie were on the floor when someone outside (I
live in an apartment building) was coming home jingling their keys.  When
Sam heard this, he ran over to the door and started squealing like you
wouldn't believe.  Even louder than when the refrigerator door opens.
Then he sat staring at the door waiting for it to open.  I thought that
was the cutest thing!  Rosie likes my husband too, but more as a couch
cushion than a playmate (as Sam likes him).  They both like to run around
our feet when we stand in floor time, or we run outside the boarder of
floor time and Sam chases us.  Pigs are so much fun!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to digress.  I just start talking about their antics
and I can't stop!

Sam, Rosie and the woman with the veggies.